Department of Public Works
|Maintenance of City-owned property and buildings||General setup, traffic control, and clean up of civic events|
|Maintenance of City parks and playgrounds within the City of Sweeny||Local street maintenance including road grading, traffic signs|
|Maintenance of City streets, sidewalks, and other public rights-of-way||Oversees the supply, storage, and distribution of natural gas|
|Maintenance of trees, grass, shrubs, and other landscaping on City property
||Project management of capital improvement projects.|
|Required reporting to regulatory agencies such as Texas Commission on Environmental Quality and the Railroad Commission.||Management of water, sewer, and gas distribution systems.|
To request a work ticket for a Public Works matter, please fill out the request located on the front page of our website under the quick links labeled Resident Work Order Request.
Director of Public Works
Terrence “Tex” Bell was promoted to Director of Public Works in October 2023. Previously, Mr. Bell served the City of Sweeny as the Public Works Crew Leader and oversaw Streets, Drainage, and led waterline repair projects. Mr. Bell was born and raised in Sweeny, TX. With his roots in Sweeny, Mr. Bell is invested in the community. Mr. Bell has extensive experience in leading construction crews and has previously worked in the private sector for Zachary and Mammoet. Mr. Bell is eager to contribute his knowledge and skills in his new role as Public Works Director and is looking forward to seeing our City and Community grow.
Tex would like to thank the Community for trusting him in his new role. As the Director of Public Works, Tex oversees the Public Works Department which includes Utilities – Water, Sewer, and Natural Gas, both water and sewer plants, Streets, Parks, Drainage, Public Works fleet, and City facilities.
Sweeny Public Water System Information:
- Bac-T (E-coli and Coliform testing) - tested monthly, reported to TCEQ quarterly
- Lead & Copper testing - conducted in first half and second half of the calendar year. At least 40 samples collected. Next round of lead and copper test collection to begin in May 2023.
- Annual water quality reports can be accessed by following this link to Texas Drinking Water Watch: https://dww2.tceq.texas.gov/DWW/
- Activity Status - ACTIVE
- Principal County Served: BRAZORIA
- Water System Type: COMMUNITY
- Primary Source Water Type: GROUND WATER
- You will enter this water system number on the next page to generate consumer confidence report: TX0200009